Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 (NIV)

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Vacation Day 3 - Laurel Falls and Smoky Mountains

The following is a picture of our 1970's hotel before we left in that morning.  We were in Gatlinburg, TN.  Tennessee was state number 6.

The following is the sweet treats that Cindy sent with us from their local bakery.  I am so glad she sent these because Shawn told me that he didn't want to eat at the hotel.  They sent up donuts and coffee, but he didn't want a donut.  I tried the brownie that Cindy sent and one bite of the cupcake.  I didn't want to overdo it before breakfast.  We then left for Laurel Falls.  Then Shawn decided that he didn't want to eat breakfast.  So, I proceeded to throw a fit because I didn't get my coffee, nor was I full.  And yes, this fit lasted off and on for 2 days.  Don't mess with my breakfast or my coffee.  AND don't tell me when I've had enough to eat.  Yes, I act like a 2 year old sometimes.


The following pictures were taken walking on the trail to Laurel Falls.

The following is a picture of a tree with roots that have followed the water and basically grown up and out or between the rock.  Shawn said that I like to take pictures of things that have overcome adversity.


This is one picture to prove that Shawn was on this trip, too.

This is a picture of tree roots that had grown into the paved path.

Psalm 1:3
He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.

The following roots looked like they too had to overcome adversity.  This particular root system made me think of the above Bible verse.



The above are what we came here to see:  Laurel Falls.  It was a 1.3 mile hike to the falls (so 2.6 roundtrip).  We had to be a little adventurous to get this picture.  We had to climb down the rocks that were off the beaten path.  Sometimes it is so freeing to be a little adventurous.
Seeing the falls made me think of God. 

It was really cold down below the falls.  There were rocks and trees all around.  It was like being in the air conditioning.  The water was F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G that was coming down from the top.  My heart was filled with joy.

After we stopped at the falls, we took the a road called Newfound something or other road.  On the middle of the stretch of road there is a stopping point where you can overlook valleys on both sides of the road.

You cross over into North Carolina at this point.  North Carolina is state 7.

We really enjoyed stopping on this side of the Smoky Mountains.  It is on a Cherokee Indian reservation and we appreciated stopping and eating here.  I had an Indian Taco. It was REALLY good.

We headed south again.  Shawn decided that he wanted to drive into Alabama and see a movie that night.  We ended up going through Georgia (state 8) and ended up in Auburn, Alabama (state 9).  We watched "Dark Shadows" and I had popcorn, M&M's and Diet Coke for supper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment