Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 (NIV)

Thursday, April 19, 2012

You Aren't Her Real Mommy

Last night, while my middle son was playing baseball, my other 3 children were playing in the grass and on the bleachers.

There was this little girl (around 8 or 9) who came up to me and said about my daughter, "You aren't her real Mommy."

I said, "Yes, I am her Mommy."

She said, "Well, she's adopted." 

I said, "Yes, she is adopted, but I am still her Mommy. I'm the only Mommy she knows."

She said, "Does she know she's adopted?"

I said, "Yes, I tell her."

She said, "Of course she knows, she looks different."

I can't tell you how much this hurt this Mommy's heart. 

I am not the most drop of the hat eloquent speaker.  We were near a few other adults.  I wonder what they were thinking.  Possibly, the same thing this little girl was speaking.

Here is what I know to be true.

I am her Mommy.   She also has other Omma's (Korean mothers- birth and foster).  BUT, I am her one and only Mommy.  However, I do hope that we can meet her birth mother some day.

Yes, I didn't carry her in my womb.

But I am her Momma bear, so don't mess with her.

Every day we build our bond. 

I sew seeds of love in her heart.  I sew seeds of trust.

I tell her and show her the difference between right and wrong.

I make mistakes with her.  I make mistakes with the boys, too.

Physically, I take care of her.
Mentally, I take care of her.
Emotionally, I take care of her.
Spiritually, I take care of her.

I am her Mommy.

Don't be confused.  Yes, she doesn't look like me.  BUT, she is mine.  She is my baby.  She'll tell you that, too.

If her brothers are on my lap, she'll push them off, because I am HERS.  Yes, she  has to share me.

I don't really care what other people think, but I do care what she thinks. 

God willed her to be here with us.  She BELONGS with us.  Our family was/is not complete without her.

She's different. I'm different.  EVERY ONE is different.  Each of my children are different.

God willing --  We (her and I) will have many years and conversations about this subject.

I pray that she can see the truth and depth of us, and not the shallow lies that satan spreads. 

We must sew positive seeds, to produce positive fruit.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment