Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 (NIV)

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Small Lesson in Perseverance

I am so blessed that I am working a job right now that I love.  When I first started working at the oncology clinic I told myself not to get attached.  How can you not get attached to the man who puts stickers on his chest to get a smile from his nurse (or worse yet rubber snakes and spiders)?  Or the lady that always thinks she must be dying, but her test results reveal that she is cancer free?  Or the 28 year-old that is faced with terminal cancer with the pink hair?   Or the lady who can smell the chemo drugs from the highway before they even turn the corner to come get her treatment?  Or the man with the son who on the outside looks so tough with all the tattoos and marks of a rough life, yet cares deeply and daily for his father?  This father passed away last weekend.  There was another woman with a big smile and a twinkle in her eye who we also lost last weekend. 

Another patient brought in her funeral program.  We shed a tear together.

I didn't do so well at the not getting attached part.  I have so much love and respect for these people.

So many patients full of life, that face the frailty of it to a larger degree than most other Americans on a daily basis. 

How can my heart be sad for my little situation when there are MANY worse predicaments in the world?

These patients teach me about perseverance and endurance.  Some come day after day for treatment, some week after week.  Some come year after year.  They fight for health and life. 

We are people who forget so easily that our health is a gift.  A gift like faith.  We don't fight for it until it's failing.

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.   Hebrews 12:1-3

Therefore, I must persevere and wait humbly with joy.  For the day will come.  I will have FAITH.

God Bless!

1 comment: